Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Little Bit About Myself

My name is Trushna Patel. I am currently a senior majoring in Computer Science at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, TN. Computer Science is not a field many women prefer to pursue, so it's never surprising when people ask me why I decided to major in Computer Science. Well in my teenage years, I was exposed to the technological world with my very first desktop computer. My computer and internet was all that was needed to encourage a desire in me to learn more about how a computer works and how this technology will change the world one day. As the years went by, I understood the importance of what was new to everyone then, will soon be affecting the lives of all human beings in several different ways. From old-school Alexander Graham Bell telephones to today's innovative smart-phones, technology has simplified communication in so many ways. Travelling around the world has now become easier with the invention of the automobile and airplane. Just realizing this phenomena got me thinking that I really want to learn how each of things operate. What is the secret recipe behind each technological device that allows it to make our life simpler? SOFTWARE! Research was key in finding the answer to this question. Once found, I knew I wanted to pursue Computer Science and learn how to use different programming languages to create different softwares, applications, and websites.

I haven't decided exactly what I want to pursue after I have finished school. However, lately I have been thinking about pursuing work that involves graphic and visualization work. What I plan on doing is exploring with different companies and different ideas, which will then help me eliminate what I don't like to do versus what I do love to do. I would eventually like to work as a project manager. To help me reach my goal, I will have to work hard, and succeed in school and out of school.

According to the NY Times, the average employment rate for recent college graduates in 2010 is 90.9%, and the average debt of a recent college graduate is $25,250. According to collegegrad.com, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Teach For America, Verizon Wireless, Hertz, and PricewaterhouseCoopers are the top five companies listed as the "Top Entry-Level Employers".

What skills do I have to offer to my classmates?

  • Major: Computer Science
  • Organized, reliable person.
  • Tend to be bossy sometimes, but I have a nature and mindset where I make sure things get done. 
  • Can program really well in C/C++ and HTML.
  • Knows a little bit of Python programming.
  • Great technical writing skills.
  • Outgoing, easy-to-get-along-with personality.
  • Lives five minutes away from campus.
  • Taking 12 credit hours.
  • Needs at least six hours of sleep everyday.
P.A.
  • Major: Computer Science
  • Intern at ORNL.
  • Likes to work with games.
  • Great implementation and testing skills.
  • Can program really well in PHP, Perl, C/C++, SQL, Java, and HTML.
  • Good customer service skills.
  • Needs six hours of sleep but can work on projects all night if necessary.
  • Taking 14 credit hours.
  • Lives 20 minutes away from campus.
L.H.
  • Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • R.A.
  • Likes software.
  • Can program well in C++.
  • Good management skills.
  • Great fundraising skills.
  • Good at public speaking.
  • Had an idea to build a website to help online shoppers locate specific items at various stores.
  • Taking 18 credit hours.

M.B.
  • Major: Computer Science
  • Can program well in Java and Objective C.
  • Would like to work on an application as a project.

K.D. 
  • Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • Has worked with power systems.
  • Industrial experience.
  • Works in retail at the computer store at UT.
  • Likes to work with power supplies.
  • Transmission Networks.
What is Design?

UPenn YouTube videos: sound quality is very poor, there is a lot of background noise, so every now and then, I can't understand what they are saying. My evaluation is mainly based on their design: the difficulty and the efficiency of the design.
  • Ecar
    • 80/100
  • Dancing with your Hands
    • 95/100
  • Pokemon Stadium 350
    • 85/100
  • Rhex Box 
    • 95/100
  • Automatic Chess Player
    • 95/100
  • Sign Master 9000
    • 90/100
  • Kineto-Vision
    • 95/100
  • FPS 360
    • 95/100
  • Universal Glove Controller
    • 90/100
  • GreenEngineering
    • 80/100
  • R.A.V.E.N
    • 90/100
  • High Speed Water Purification System for Developing Countries
    • 100/100
  • Street Solutions
    • 90/100
  • Energy Performance Rating of Penn Buildings
    • 90/100
  • AccuEnergy
    • 95/100
  • Electronic Pitch Trainer
    • 95/100
  • Stadium Express
    • 95/100
  • AutoPlug (sound quality is very poor)
    • 85/100
  • Urban Energy Consumers as Solar Energy Producers
    • 80/100
  • Economic Network Model
    • 80/100
  • Sustainable Rainforest Solutions
    • 90/100
  • Spam Detection on Wikipedia
    • 80/100
  • Winds Up!
    • 85/100
  • Detection of Pneumonia by Computer-Aided Auscultation
    • 85/100
  • Intelligent Information Systems for Technical Trading Analysis
    • 80/100
Below videos didn't have any design description, so I evaluated these videos based on performance.
  • Laser Cutter
    • 95/100
  • CIMG0107
    • 85/100
  • NXT Line Follower
    • 95/100
Not quite sure what is happening in the video below.
  • ADC Lab
I have spent 4 hours working outside of class on this homework. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment